Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Chanel Les Exclusifs Bel Respiro

Some rigorous honesty, here. The most difficult aspect of the world of perfume blogging, akin to the world of perfume, is to read outstanding reviews of fragrance and write my own without repeating what has already been said. My rigid, private school upbringing prevents me from writing anything that looks like plagiarism. Perhaps I should limit myself in the number of reviews I read. However, I enjoy them so much that it is difficult to refrain. Therefore, I will defer to other authors I think have done an outstanding job. In this case, Robin of Now Smell This has eloquently described the new Bel Respiro from Les Exclusifs de Chanel collection. Read here

I wholeheartedly agree with her. At first sniff, this scent is herbaceous, diffuse, like dew-covered fresh leaves. Thank goodness for the "vague" resemblance to Chanel No. 19 for I find that one unwearable, at least in the EDT formulation. The Bel Respiro top notes to me seem masculine and I'm sure they smell fabulous when mixed with male chemistry. As the green topnotes lead to the restrained floral heart I find myself wanting to spritz with abandon. Such a shame that I have a tiny sample vial. Unlike the hearty spices of Coromandel, Bel Respiro leaves the wearer longing for more from the heart to the drydown. That to me is the sign of a fabulous blend.

Saving the best for last, Bel Respiro's base conjures "your skin but better" images. How about "your skin but better on a hot summer day"? In truth this fragrance, due to its understatedness, could be reserved for warmer climes, more casual affairs, or occasions when the wearer wants to appear classy yet casual and relaxed. I can't help but think of a man in classic jeans, dressier loafers and an untucked open collared shirt: chic yet mellow and incredibly appealing. I find Bel Respiro full bottle worthy due to its versatility and ease of wear. And on those days when I can't have my nose glued to my wrist, I will have Mr. TMH douse himself with it.

Les Exclusifs de Chanel are available at Chanel Boutiques. Bel Respiro retails for $175 for 200mL.
Image source: memorysquared.co.uk

Edit: I just re-read Colombina's review from yesterday on Perfume Smellin' Things and we are amazingly in sync! I forgot she had written about Bel Respiro yesterday. She describes this one as a "green skin scent" and uses the word "casual" as well. C, I guess we think alike. The irony underscores my first paragraph!

6 comments:

violetnoir said...

Excellent review, T!

I guess I was expecting something more green and less herbaceous. Although Bel Respiro is not nearly as herbaceous as say Sous Le Vent, I wish it was just a bit greener.

That said, I need to spritz on the rest of my decant later on this week when it is expected to get warmer. Maybe then I will be able to better appreciate its nuances.

I know I keep harping on this, but I wish Chanel would have given us full-blown grown up French fragrances instead of just whiffs of them. :(:( I feel like starting a petition to demand that they issue all of these in EdPs and parfums. :):) I know they would sell like hotcakes if they did (not that they probably are not selling well as I type this rant, lol!).

Hugs!

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

This is my third time trying to publish a comment! I hope others aren't having a hard time.

R,

Thank you! I will sign your petition! Good news: rumor has it that parfums are being released. I can't give you a date but just know they're coming.

I received a FB of Sous le Vent as a gift and tragically I couldn't wear it. It was too ... something ... too sharp mabye. The floral heart in BR makes it much more lovely to me. I just want MORE. I'm not sure if 200mL would be enough.

Enjoy spritzing on a warm day! Hugs!

violetnoir said...

Really, T? Where did you hear that rumor?

Oh joy!!(no pun intended, yuck, yuck). I won't need a petition if this happens, and I will gladly purchase 31 Rue Cambon in parfum, if not more of them.

Have you tried 31 Rue Cambon, T? It is glorious!

Thanks for the 411.

Hugs!

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

I did! I read it somewhere online - don't recall where now. It may have been one of the blogs. I haven't tried 31 Rue Cambon, but I will soon. Have a great night!

chayaruchama said...

Hello, T !
I tend to agree w /Vi- I wish it were greener, and less fleeting.
Although it's very charming, there are so many 'diaphanous' scents out there.

Kisses to you .

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Hello Chaya,

It is true. The green only stays for about five to ten minutes and then the floral kicks in. The combination is gorgeous to me but I can understand the frustration with "fleeting" scents. As you said, there is an abundance of them!

Kisses!