Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Frederic Malle Carnal Flower

"Tuberose perfection. Absolutely gorgeous and not one that I thought I would like. In fact, I ordered it as a gift only to find out the person I bought it for no longer wanted it. So I tested. It blew me away so much I bought a full bottle. I've never spent this much on one bottle of perfume but it is so worth it. Carnal Flower has a very creamy quality to it that I can't explain. I always feel classy and elegant when I wear it. Wearing it with sweats would somehow be very wrong. It requires sophistication. No more than one spritz is necessary as it's made from the finest ingredients."


This is what I wrote about Carnal Flower nearly one year ago, prior to creating my blog and discussing fragrance every day. Ironically, the same words still apply. I will add that the top notes are very green, like crushed stems, and the overall composition evokes the sounds of a beautifully composed symphony featuring, at different times, tuberose, jasmine, coconut and musk. Carnal Flower is extremely persistent on my skin, lasting the entire day. The only season I cannot wear this is during summer as it is a little too heady. Very sophisticated, very womanly (despite being worn by men also) and very full bottle worthy. Funny thing. I ordered that full bottle before I made it through the decant I purchased! Sometimes my love of fragrance creates hoarding. In this case, I am not ashamed.


Carnal Flower can be purchased at elite department stores and at www.editionsdeparfums.com. 50mL spray retails for 125€.

Image source:  lisamaliga.com

9 comments:

Marina said...

I must re-test this. When I tried, soon after it came out, I found it overwhelming. but that was before I entered my Floral Period :-), now I might fall in love with CF. Thank you for the lovely review!

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

You just might fall in love M.! And even if you don't, you will have touched some perfection in trying. Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Anonymous said...

I loved wearing this yesterday, T! I enjoyed reading your review while experiencing the same reactions! Just for comparison, later in the evening I switched to SL Tuberose Criminelle, which I also really enjoyed. A very beautiful tuberose day!! Today it's Kai -- another fresh one. Have a great day!
L B-D

IrisLA said...

I need to re-try this. Recently, I can't get enough of tuberose. I'm loving SL Tubereuse Criminelle, Fracas and L'Artisan La Chasse. I just might love Carnal Flower this time around.

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Hi Linda!

Wow, what a fab tuberose day you had. Sounds fantastic. Kai is more fresh, green gardenia but just as beautiful. Enjoy the day.

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Iris,

If you're liking those other tuberose scents, I have a good feeling you'll love Carnal Flower. The dry down is incredible.

violetnoir said...

This is one of the few fragrances that actually lived up to the pre-release hype. An instant modern classic, Carnal Flower is the perfect floral: fresh without being dull, floral without being too girly, and beautiful beyond belief.

Hugs!

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

It most certainly is. Well said Violet!

Hugs to you1

Gail Cooke said...

A sensuous name for a sensuous fragrance. Rich with tuberose Carnal Flower by Frederic Malle is alluring, addictive and totally glorious. If taken quite literally the name would be a flower that is related to sexual, physical pleasures. Precisely as it is said that in some cultures young women are not allowed to experience the scent of tuberose after the sun sets. I love to wear it 24/7. .
For me, the slightest spray on pulse points is all that is needed. It is lasting, retaining its scent for hours. ‘Tis said that Frederic Malle's inspiration for this fragrance was his aunt, actress Candice Bergern, who starred in the memorable film Carnal Knowledge. Whatever the case, whatever his inspiration, it is sheer genius, as irresistible as the Sirens' call.

- Gail Cooke