Monday, August 27, 2007

Montale Paris Musk to Musk

My search for the perfect musk has ended!! After experimenting with Lorenzo Villoresi Musk eau de toilette, Serge Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan, Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur and others, Montale Paris Musk to Musk can be called "my musk." Thanks to my August sample pack from Lucky Scent, I am relieved to find a love within the Montale Paris line as well. (I knew my readers were right about this house!)

After a slightly dry and medicinal beginning, most certainly due to the aoud note, Musk to Musk quickly softens and smooths into a simultaneously sexy and creamy musk. Previously described as spicy and resinous, I find it simply and utterly delicious. Perhaps the combination of nutmeg and woods lends greater coziness to the lustrous musk, appealing to my nesting sensibilities. After researching grey amber or ambergris, I discovered it is a precious fragrance originating from the sperm whale which produces a very strong amber accord and serves as a fixative for scent. In this case, it serves to intensify the already exquisite combination that has me swooning with delight. Staying power is fantastic with the sensual woodsy/musky accord lingering for hours.

This is musk for the fashion forward. Not too transparent nor too rich, it suggests sexuality without screaming it. Musk to Musk does so in very chic and classy form. It goes on my "to buy a large decant" list promptly.

Montale Paris Musk to Musk retails for $95 for a 50mL bottle. I have found it available only at www.luckyscent.com.

Image source: parfemy-de-luxe.cz

6 comments:

Divina said...

:) I am SO happy to see a review of this! This is my favorite Montale along with Oud Ambre! Isn't it just fabulous??? I am completely in love with this one, I adore it. I could just go on and on with expletives :P Glad you found a love in this fabulous line :)

On a completely different subject, need to let you know that I haven't had email access since Sunday night and it will hopefully be restored tomorrow :( Sorry about that..

Divina

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Dearest D.,

Yes, yes I love this. And I'm excited to add it to my fall/winter rotation!! Tmp00 said this is musk for those who don't think they like musk, or something along those lines. I thought it was a great observation. Something about the spice, woods and musk combined is glorious!

No worries about your e-mail, my dear. Just write when you can and have a wonderful day!

xo,
Tamara

tmp00 said...

God I wish I got something out of this: I should most likely go back and give it another sniff. It just sort of died on me. :-(

helg said...

Dear Tamara,

you fill me with hope on this one, as I was disappointed with another Montale musk scent in the past. (And I find the oudhs of the line "difficult" at best).
I did enjoy Crystal Flowers though, so there is hope yet that another Montale will work for me
:-)

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Tmp00,

If you like woodsy and spicy, try it again. It's a gorgeous one on my skin. ;-)

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Hi Helg!

I hear you on the ouds in this line. On my skin, they are far from beautiful. However, this one is worth a try, for the oud died down to a tolerable scent within minutes. ;-) What followed it is a glorious combination!