Sunday, December 30, 2007

Frapin 1270

The last Sunday of the year 2007 inspires me to explore the word "complete". In thinking about the past year, it has been a most fascinating one. I have experienced the pinnacles of happiness, excitement and elation (new job offer!) along with the unfortunate dregs of hopelessness, grief, trauma and despair. I have faced physical, mental and emotional challenges that have brought forth even more inner strength. Yes, I could write multiple entries on what I endured this year. I could also write multiple entries on my strengthened faith and overwhelming gratitude for the multitude of blessings, love and supportive people in my life, most of all my incredible husband. I am not sad to leave 2007 behind. In fact, I feel so complete with it that I am relieved. I anticipate with much hope a new year, a new chapter, a new outlook, a new experience .... and perhaps a new full bottle of an amazing fragrance.

In that vein, it was important that I choose for this final review of the year 2007 a fragrance that I consider complete - a blend that is unabashedly magnificent, rich and whole. That fragrance is Frapin 1270.

I have never been to a cognac cellar. I have never even (that I recall) tasted good cognac. An allergy to alcohol prevents me from celebrating its charms and writing about it with any sincere knowledge. However, what I conjure imaginatively a cognac cellar would entail - the sights, sounds and smells - that is Frapin 1270. This is certainly not an original thought. The creator of the fragrance, the great granddaughter of Pierre Frapin, longed to conjure that image. Pierre Frapin's family began creating roots in the cognac region of France during the year 1270. To pay homage to her great grandfather and the grand cognac company he created, the rich, warm and enticing masterpiece of 1270 was born. The notes, according to Lucky Scent, include exotic woods, spices, raisin, vine flowers, pepper, candied orange, nut, hazelnut, prune, cocoa, coffee, leather, woods, white honey, and vanilla.

This fragrance for a man or a woman begins with a spicy, fruity and boozy accord. Images of dark wooden floors, large vats of alcoholic liquid in a damp, cool basement and elaborate bowls of dried fruit flood my mind as I inhale the honeyed richness of 1270's introduction.

As the woods, cocoa and leather make their appearance during the heart of this fragrance, the images in my mind become much more elaborate, colorful and emotional. It whisks me away to an opulent, luxe, formal event in a foreign land. This scent is not familiar to me at all and yet I long to go to the place from which it originates and submerse myself in the culture. Like a wallflower crashing a party, I would observe the conversations, behavior, attire and cuisine of this foreign place and no one would be able to see me. I can smell the gourmet food, the ladies' perfume, the men's warm skin, the decadent leather coats and shoes, the history of the building (I picture a castle), the damp earth beneath it and the unadulterated lust that circulates like air. And just when these fragrances nearly intoxicate me, I become visible and participate in the festivities of the evening as if I had always been there. For one night, I am someone else, someone more exotic, free-spirited and affluent; someone who has led a completely charmed life yet possesses a decent character. Male or female, young or old does not matter. What does is the fact that I am undeniably mysterious, rich and comfortable, desired and adored, respected and admired. And I think of nothing else but the present moment. This image stays with me through the sexy, slightly sweet and more woodsy drydown. I feel complete.

Frapin 1270's timeless, gourmand, Oriental and luxurious character makes it entirely full bottle worthy to me. In fact, if it is the only full bottle I purchase in 2008, I will still be complete.


Frapin 1270 is available at luckyscent.com and beautyhabit.com (althoughy luckyscent.com is sold out at publishing of review). A 50mL of the EDP is $85.

Image of cognac courtesy of drinkon.com. Image of Alnwick castle courtesy of mingayhistory.co.uk.

6 comments:

chayaruchama said...

I love it , too.
Bought it exactly one year ago, for my friend's 50th birthday..he loved it as well.

We're twins !

Anonymous said...

I really want to love this fragrance. I wore Theorema in the mid ninties, and can't get the comparison out of my head. Frapin 1270 smells like I left my bottle of Theorema out in the rain!!
I do have a decant, and will wear 1270 today, New Years Day...and see what I think now. Happy New Year!
I really enjoy your blog!

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Oh, Chaya that's wonderful! It's always nice (and generous) to share a fragrance love witha dear friend. :-)

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Queen of Caffeine,

Thank you for reading and posting a commment. Scent associations can kill fragrance interest for me as well. I hope your experience with it today trumps its connection to Theorema for you. :-)

Anonymous said...

Indeed, 1270 did deepen somewhat on my skin...and I truly love this type of scent. Ambre Narguile also reminds me very much of these...yesterday I samp-ed them all side by side...Narguile won that round!

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Queen of Caffeine,

Oh, that is good to know. Ambre Narguile is on my list of "to sample" fragrances. Thank you for sharing your experiment!