Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Ormonde Jayne Champaca

Like Les Salons du Palais Royale in Paris, a London perfumery beckons me with its opulent scents and ornate, eye-catching shop: Ormonde Jayne. Judging by the online photos featuring splashes of orange on a modern black background, I could spend hours in this store. When I win my next fortune, Ormonde Jayne ranks in my top five places to go. A small piece of the picture is captured by the company’s philosophy,

Ormonde Jayne's philosophy is one of quality and true luxury, the pursuit of beauty and elegance. Our perfume library reposes on an exquisitely simple principle – extraordinarily beautiful scents using specialty oils not widely used in the perfume industry today.”

With the plethora of clones on the market, that philosophy is akin to a breath of fresh air. So is today’s scent, Champaca.

I chose this one to review simply because I, along with Robin of Now Smell This, believe it to be a wonderful spring scent. I offer first Ormonde Jayne’s description:

Related to the magnolia and deemed sacred in the Indus Valley, champaca flower absolute is a heavenly creamy floral scent – both elegant and intimate. Blended with neroli and bamboo and underscored with fragrant rice and green tea notes, this is a distinguished perfume of rare beauty.

Top: Neroli, pink pepper and bamboo
Heart: Champaca, freesia absolutes and basmati notes
Base: Myrrh, green tea and musk


What makes this scent so exquisite is the marked rush of notes upon first spritz. I literally smell all of them in one fell swoop! A few stand out, including basmati, green tea and neroli. Basmati, eh? What an intriguing, refreshing combination that immediately transports me to a different time and place – an ancient civilization with an arid climate, an abundance of artisans and a generous supply of fresh water. This burst is not my favorite Champaca accord, however, since I would really rather stay put in my own time and place. It is the musky, floral dry down which lingers throughout the day that I favor. The champaca note’s prominence and endurance fashions this fragrance and makes its name absolutely appropriate. Creamy, elegant, rare, and intriguing describe it beautifully. Yes indeed, Ormonde Jayne is on my shopping list, and Champaca headlines the “to buy” list! How wonderful that the perfumer offers candles along with bath and body products galore to scent my home as well.

Ormonde Jayne Champaca is available in EDP and Parfum formulations and can be purchased directly at www.ormondejayne.com. Both come in 50mL bottles. The Parfum retails for £112 and the EDP for £58.

Image sources: ormondejayne.com and oz.tranzfusion.net

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooooh, T! This one sounds glorious! I've been curious about this house since our friend Vic introduced me to Tolu, a beautiful amber. Thanks for a nice review of this one; it's definitely on my to-try list now! Their sampler collection is really tempting!!

Have a beautiful evening (and I'm checking my calendar for a good AG date}!
Linda

Anonymous said...

Good grief! I have no willpower today; I just ordered the OJ sample collection! Your review inspired me. I'll let you know how that turns out... :)
Linda

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Hi Linda!

I am happy to oblige always. ;-) I too ordered the samples about a year ago and have thoroughly enjoyed all of them. What I have my eye on now are the gift boxes!

Let me know what you find available for AG. Enjoy your OJ samples. That's great!

Hugs,
T

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Champaca IS a spring scent, I thoroughly agree, but for some reason with my chemistry it smells far better in cooler weather. The notes don't all come out on me unless it is cool. So I save it for November & December....

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

I am glad you enjoy this one, no matter what time of year. It truly is unique and I have no doubt it responds differently on others. Have a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

Is there an email address where I can send updates from the PR Department of Ormonde Jayne Perfumery please?
sarah@ehrlich.be