Thursday, May 03, 2007

Creed Virgin Island Water

I seem to be drawn to tropical scents this week. Perhaps I am longing for another honeymoon? After wondering what to review after an arduous day at a new job, I grabbed a sweater I had worn on Tuesday, when I first tried Creed's Virgin Island Water. Delightfully, I picked up remnants of the scent and thought perhaps I had worn Estee Lauder's Azuree Oil or Bobbi Brown Beach that day. When I remembered that it was Virgin Island Water I knew that I must review this one.

If Satellite Ipanema captures the beach, this scent has captures it times ten. While Ipanema evokes the pleasures of vacation and compliments a beach-going day nicely, Virgin Island Water renders its wearer a cool-smelling sun queen. With wet hair, tanned skin, freckles along the bridge of her nose, beautiful blue eyes, and smelling faintly of coconut oil, she enjoys an occasional game of beach volleyball and loves to swim. Lest I suggest Virgin Island Water is for the younger crowd, rest assured this scent is fluid and sophisticated enough for anyone.

Colombina of Perfume-Smellin' Things listed the notes beautifully: "essence of copra (the white inner portion of the coconut), coconut toddy (a liquid derived from the sweet sap of the palm tree), lime, bergamot, mandarin orange, hibiscus, ginger, ylang-ylang, jasmine, sugar cane, white rum and musk." The obvious top notes are lime, ginger and a sprinkling of coconut. The tart, cool citrus provides just enough bouyancy for the remainder of the notes to blend cheerfully. Although I cannot detect hibiscus or jasmine, when the citrus notes evaporate what remains is a lustrous merging of faint coconut, sweet sugar cane and tantalizing white rum. Overall, this light-hearted, pleasing scent merits a large decant for the dog days of summer ahead.

Creed Virgin Island Water is available in EDP, 1 oz. retails for $98, 2.5 oz. for $185 and 4 oz. for $208 at Neiman Marcus and other select stores.

Image source: 71percentwater.com, neimanmarcus.com

6 comments:

chayaruchama said...

Hello, Tska !

This one is awfully nice-

I'm just a bit cheap these days, unless it's something I'm going to wear to DEATH, lol, or a piece of perfume history, or an incredible bargain...
[I guess that would explain the purchase of 2 TF's, vintage Guerlains, and extra-cheap Wind Song and Emeraude- I'm a fragrant schizophrenic !]

Sending you hugs and wishes for all of your loved ones...

Divina said...

May I confess that the Creed bottles put me off completely? They remind me of cheap men's cologne bottles :( Still it was great to read this review since I am *still* looking for a beach scent. I really must try Beach by Bobbi Brown it seems, since everyone keeps suggesting that to me... Forgive this lazy soul, but a cursory glance on the net delivered no sources for samples, do you know any good source my dear? Last but not least, congratulations on your new job! I hope you are happy at your new workplace. x, Divina

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Hello Chaya Ruchama!

I think we're all schizophrenic when it comes to perfume! Or, at the very least, obsessive compulsive. ;-) And I too have become cheap ... with a trip to Italy in my near future as well as a desire to save rather than spend. Oh, and a ridiculously large collection that I'll never use ... Thus my suggestion of a decant for this one. The price point is a little over the top. I'm glad you agree that it's nice. Let's be honest, it's not going to break records but it IS the beach. ;-)

Sending you and yours hugs too!

xo,
T.

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Hello D.!

I like this one even better than Bobbi Brown Beach. Beach smells almost identical to Coppertone. This is much lighter and smoother and the citrus keeps it from being too suntan lotion like. However, I'm going to try to track down a sample for you at the Sniffa! Thank you for the congrats on my new job. It is an absolute joy!

xo,
T.

Anonymous said...

Dear TMH256:

Oh! God have mercy, to let people know each other by Google. Please receive my warm hug from far east, Thailand. I accidentally found your blog, but fell in love with it at once. Fond of word "schizophrenic" appearing in the blog, of course, I am schizophrenic in fragrances.

Would you mind doing me a favor?
Let me know your suggestion upon "GREENY" perfumes.
Or "greeny fresh."
Or "Oceanic."
What are those?

I'd like to have your recommendations very much.

Regards,
Belle

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Hello Belle,

Welcome to my blog! I'm glad you found it. I will work on a post describing those terms for you. Keep reading!

Regards,
T.