Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Serge Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle


This is my bell jar. My one and only Paris Exclusive bell jar gifted to me. Isn't it lovely? Isn't it wonderful? Isn't it precious? Oh, how I wish it were any other fragrance than this. It is not that Tubereuse Criminelle is anything short of a masterpiece in fragrance. And it is not that I am unappreciative of a scent that can only be purchased in Paris. It is just that ... well ... how can I say it? ... My skin literally eats this fragrance.

Let me explain. After hearing rave reviews I was dumbfounded that I had been gifted with the famous Serge Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle. I heard adjectives like "amazing," "interesting," "tuberose perfection." You get the idea. I tested it once and I was so overcome by the top note that turns wintergreen on my skin, I decided to decant it for others and give it another whirl a few months later.

Well, Sunday was my "another whirl" day and I think the following dialogue sums it up:

Tamara: Honey, do you like my perfume?


Jeffrey: What perfume?


Tamara: The expensive perfume from Paris I'm wearing?


Jeffrey: Well, I can't really smell it. Although I like you being close to me while wearing it.

I can think of much worse reactions, for sure. However, it is vastly different from the reaction I got when wearing Serge Lutens Chergui or Bois de Violette. "But do you wear perfume only for your husband?" you ask. Mais non. Not at all. The reason I quote him is that he perfectly articulated how I feel about this fragrance on my skin. Once the harsh topnote dries down and the heart of beautiful tuberose shines through, my Tubey Crim is just gone. Poof. And just when I was starting to like her.

So, I will continue to read the amazing reviews written by my friends and admire them ... from afar. And I will continue to decant Tubereuse Criminelle for those lucky ladies and gents who can thoroughly enjoy it. And when I go to Paris for a shopping spree, because I will, I plan to buy myself a bell jar of Chergui.


It can be purchased only at the Salons du Palais Royal in Paris, 100 Euro for 2.5oz.

3 comments:

Marina said...

Skin chemistry is such an odd thing...TC lasts ages on me and is extremely sillage-ful :-) Fascinating.

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Isn't it though? I'm so envious of those who can wear this beautifully. And happy for you at the same time! :-)

Anonymous said...

it 's very strange, I 've been wearing all day and it 's still there, very lasting and strong on me but I bought a mini spray bottle so I guess I use more on the skin this way than just dab it.