Monday, May 28, 2007

Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger

I feel very fortunate to live in a climate where orange trees prosper. I feel even more fortunate to have one in our back yard. During the month of March, the blossoms create such a gorgeous bouquet that I spend more time than usual on the patio. The calming yet uplifting qualities of the scent keep me going back for more and hoping to catch an additional whiff from a neighbor's tree. My imagination transports me to a sunny orange grove, where hundreds of trees are in full bloom and the sweet air that surrounds them has a transformational effect on anyone who pays attention. The world could be a better place if the fragrance of orange blossoms filled it abundantly.

Since I will not be harvesting a grove of trees anytime soon, I have settled upon an orange blossom scent that literally "takes me away" from stress, aggravation and worry. It transports me to a lounge chair on the patio, a grove of orange trees in Sicily, or a sunny day without a care in the world. And it does so with aplomb and the honorable distinction of a creation from Serges Lutens. It is Fleurs d'Oranger.

Of the orange blossom fragrances I have tried, including L'Artisan, Jo Malone and others, I have found most to vanish from my skin quite rapidly. Not so with Lutens'. The combination of notes unexpectedly adheres and lingers. They include white jasmine and Indian tuberose, which serve to enhance the orange blossom note, making it multi-dimensional, not heady. White rose adds interest while cumin, nutmeg, musk and hibiscus seed add depth and mystery. I would not call this scent deep, however. It is all about subdued sweetness and light. For those who find most orange blossom fragrances too linear or too sweet, this multi-faceted take on the flower could intrigue. I find it perfect for a lighthearted afternoon or to ease the mind during a difficult day of work.


Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger can be purchased at Neiman Marcus in the U.S., 1.7 fl. oz. retails for $100.

Image sources: netstate.com, neimanmarcus.com

10 comments:

tmp00 said...

I do love this one- although I think it is definately a feminine fragrance. I love to smell it on others but I wouldn't try to get away with it myself.

It's also available at Barneysm BTW (even if I prefer Neimans too..)

Anonymous said...

Hi, T! This is one of my faves, too. :) Glad you're back!
Linda

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Hi tmp00,

Yes, it is a girly one for sure. Thanks for the tip about Barney's! Good to know. Have a great night.

xo,
T.

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Hi Linda!

Do you find this one too floral? I know you're a spicy girl. Maybe the cumin and nutmeg round it out for you?

It's great to be home!

xo,
T.

Divina said...

Welcome back dear T.! So good to see you back :)

I really wanted to like Fleurs d'Oranger, but it turns really plasticky on my skin :(

chayaruchama said...

So nice to have you home !

I love this in the bottle, but it treats me like Divina, I'm afraid.

And it goes LOUD on me.
Full volume- but what it says, isn't nice...
It's a shame.
I love the notes.
More for you, sweet thing !

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Good Morning Divina!

It's great to be home and back here. I have missed you all so much. Since this one doesn't work for you, do any orange blossom scents work? Or is it simply that note that turns plastic-like? Have a great day!!

xo,
T.

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Thank you Chaya Ruchama! It's nice to be home. Wow. Loud, eh? That is amazing. My chemistry must really love white flowers. Every time I hear someone say Songes is loud I think "Hmm, but I love the loudness of that one." FdO on the other hand is like a ray of sunshine - light and fresh - on me. Interesting. Have a wonderful day!

xo,
T.

Divina said...

We have missed you too sweetie :)
And no... I have not found a single orange blossom frag that works on me...I think perhaps I am too demanding, chasing after a childhood memory. We had an orange tree and a lemon tree in our garden and the smell of the blossoms was just divine. I think maybe I have idealized that smell a little, you know? Anyway, everyone loves this one, so it must really be exceptional - just not for me!

Anonymous said...

"I find it perfect...to ease the mind during a difficult day of work."

Only just discovered this perfume and was curious to see what others make of it. Had to comment because you're bang on the money about the unexpectedly soothing qualities of the fragrance. It's amazingly lovely...

The other great thing is the dry-down; until now, I've not been able to wear spicy notes without feeling completely overwhelmed. This one is so quiet and elegant, it's always a pleasant surprise when I notice it.