Thursday, January 10, 2008

Laura Mercier Eau De Lune

This fragrance took me by complete surprise. As I was shopping on a whim at Nordstrom with my mother and my grandmother, mostly looking for comfortable shoes for my grandmother's feet (Nordstrom will sell shoes of different sizes to customers, greatly appreciated by my grandmother), I briefly stopped at the Laura Mercier counter to spritz myself with something different. I was headed to the fragrance department, and just happened to walk past the cosmetic counters first. As I sniffed this glorious, light floral, my need to progress to the fragrance department disappeared. That one spritz on my wrist stayed with me for the rest of the day, long after we found grandma's shoes, and I kept sniffing and commenting, "This is really nice!" As oft happens to us perfumistas, we take a visual snapshot of the fragrance as we spritz; therefore, that snapshot endured for months although the memory of the scent disappeared. Laura Mercier Eau de Lune made it a few months later to my Christmas Wishlist for my family to peruse. Thanks to my darling husband, I am now the proud owner of a full bottle and since Christmas have already used nearly 20%.

What makes this ethereal floral so beautiful is its absolute cheeriness. With top notes of white flower petals, plumeria, rose and mandarin and very subtle base notes of orris, amber and musk, it is offensive to no one and could easily fall onto our Perfume for the Occasion: For The Office list. A light, extremely feminine, and undeniably joyful scent of citrus-y flowers, it most certainly does as promised on the box. It "lifts your senses to a faraway place, showering you with a fresh burst of florals sparkled with clear mandarin". It calls to mind the color yellow, verdant fields, chirping birds and joyful song. I feel as if I am the effervescent Julie Andrews in the classic The Sound of Music. As one review from imdb said about her, "Try and think of anybody better than jubilant, crop-haired Julie Andrews as a postulant nun who has gorgeous pipes, can make play clothes out of curtains, can set up and operate marionette shows at the drop of a hat, and is confident enough to convince a man that a failed nun is ideal marriage material." Her naiveté, innocence and craftiness personify Eau de Lune, as do various scenes in the film, specifically the moment Captain Von Trapp declares his love for her in a moonlit gazebo. The gentle tenderness apparent during Something Good (click on the link to hear the song) parallels the softness and beauty of Eau de Lune.

As the film lacks script depth, so does the fragrance lack a strident base. Rather, the accords of the top fade ever so slightly and finish on a very light musky note. As I have done since I first watched The Sound of Music at seven years old, I anticipate escaping monotony and stress while watching the film (yes, even a child needs stress relief!), due to its sappy and entertaining nature. I could say the same for Eau de Lune. If I am searching for a deep, resonating and pulsating scent, I look to my Serge Lutens collection, spicier fragrances or my Tom Ford scents. However, for lighthearted diversion during the day and a fragrance that makes me feel pretty, it fits the bill perfectly. And it makes no excuses in being exactly what it was designed to be.

Laura Mercier Eau de Lune is available at Nordstrom and other select department stores. A 1.7 oz. bottle retails for $65.

Images courtesy of Nordstrom.com and thecia.com.au.

9 comments:

priscilla said...

This sounds so pretty! This is the second scent I've read about today that sounds lovely and is available at Nordstrom (the other was Max Mara...post by Donna on Perfume Smellin' Things). I'll definitely seek this one out next time I'm at the mall.

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Hello Greeneyes,

I own Max Mara as well which is also pretty but quite sweet. This is frilly, non-cloying pretty. Do try!

tmp00 said...

This reads so lovely; I'd love to smell it on someone else..

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Thanks Tom. It really is a lovely fragrance.

:-)
T

Anonymous said...

Eau de Lune has been a favorite of mine for the last two years. You decribe it so beautifully!! It is really a staple for me during the hot AZ summers - but it is definitely wearable all year round. I even had to buy a second bottle of it :-)!

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Hi Patty!

So nice to see you. :-) I can believe you've had to buy a second bottle. It is soooo beautiful. I can see how it would wear extremely well through the summer, also. It's nice to know another AZ perfumista enjoys this. :-)

Marina said...

The scent sounds so romantic!

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Hi Marina! That it is. :-) With your increasing interest in floral scents, I think you would like it!

Anonymous said...

I bought this a few years ago and adored it. But as is inevitable, I have since tired of it, and would like it to find a happy home....:)