Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Bond No. 9 Coney Island

Of the four fragrances I have tried from Bond No. 9 - a very trendy and stylish, truly American fragrance line – two, namely Chinatown and West Side, created a lasting impression. The third, Bryant Park, boasts a beautifully artistic bottle design but the juice within does not differ distinctly from some others on the market. Today’s fragrance, Coney Island, does not altogether hit the mark or impress. Although the idea behind the unisex fragrance is novel, I just cannot summon enthusiasm over it.

Coney Island in its heyday offered excitement, nightlife, beach parties and incredible rides like the Wonder Wheel, the Cyclone and the Parachute Jump. From about 1880 through World War II, it was the largest amusement park of its kind, therefore attracting millions of visitors per year and gaining a “pleasure-mecca” reputation. Unfortunately when Disneyland launched, it overshadowed Coney Island’s popularity causing neglect and depression of the area. Recently however, with the opening of KeySpan Park, Coney Island’s history is resurrecting, new rides are being built and the beach is again teeming with visitors in the summertime.

Considering its history and reputation for excitement, I would expect the scent to be exciting, unique and impressive. With notes of margarita mix (with tequila), melon, guava, cinnamon, chocolate, caramel, musk, vanilla, cedar and sandalwood, one could anticipate quite a lovely gourmand. While the margarita mix is quite apparent within the first few minutes and a refreshing mix it is, it quickly fades and is replaced by a scent reminiscent of melon balls soaked in water. Honestly. On my skin, not a trace of cinnamon, chocolate, cedar or musk exists – just a large bowl of melon balls.

The bottle design was meant to evoke the sea and sky, with the gold neck depicting electric lights that lit up Coney Island. Considering the artistry of previous released bottles, I was hoping for a little more “oomph” with this one. However, at least some symmetry exists between the bland juice and the insipid bottle. My only hope is that this scent blends better with chemistry other than my own. May the gloriousness of chocolate, cedar and sandalwood shine through for you!

The generosity of Bond No. 9's marketing department is fantastic so I must give kudos to them. As always, scent is a very personal art form. I am certain this scent will delight many. I am still entirely content with West Side.


Coney Island will be released June 1st and will be available at at all four Bond No. 9 stores, at selected branches of Saks Fifth Avenue , and at Harvey Nichols, Harrods, Paris Gallery, Lane Crawford. It will be availabe in 3.4 oz. bottle for $180, 1.7 oz. travel size for $125, by the ounce for $40, or in a 2 oz. spray flacon for $25.

Image sources: bondno9 and pps.org.

6 comments:

chayaruchama said...

Good mornin' darlin'!

[I wasn't flattering you yesterday, you silly!]

I'm not surprised that this one isn't you.
It isn't me, either; but it's fun to sample.
I thought it smelled good on some of the men who tried it on.

For the cost, many of these work better for me in an abstract sense.

Just as I enjoy barnyard smells, I have no desire to actually regale my companions with my own Eau de Stable or Eau de Henhouse...

We'll just leave this one to the others.
C'est la vie !

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Hello Chaya Ruchama,

I know you weren't flattering me. ;-) I really wanted to share Sofia Detaille with you since I do think you'd enjoy it!!

You have me laughing with Eau de Stable or Eau de Henhouse. LOL Great observation! Yes, I'll leave this one to the others.

Have a wonderful afternoon!

violetnoir said...

Ooh, I love the bottle, T! The gold band represents that golden palace of fun and amusement, Coney Island Amusement Park. The blue of course represents the sea surrounding CI, Long Island Sound.

I can't wait to test this one. It may not work on me either, but the concept is so much fun I can't resist at least giving it a whirl.

Hugs!

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

R. it's great to see you!! I've missed your comments. I definitely encourage you to give it a whirl (yuck, yuck). As I mentioned, scent is such a personal thing. It could definitely work for you!!

Hugs to you,
T.

Victoria said...

I didn't get the mid notes either. But neither did I get melon soaked in water so I guess I'm lucky. It remained a nice sweet citrus on me. I'll probably end up with a decant for summer, that is unless they are banned all togther!

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Hi V.,

Glad to hear it's a nice, sweet citrus on you. For the love of perfume, I hope decants aren't banned all together. I rarely buy full bottles any more!

Glad to see that your Andy Tauer experience was so wonderful. I need to try his new lavender fragrance. ;-)